Wednesday, October 21, 2009

West Village Post from Journalism Class

If you ever decide to take a walking tour of the West Village, good luck actually getting to the end of the thing. The neighborhood is so vibrant, interesting and enticing that, for unlucky college students like myself who have to follow a route instead of taking a guided tour (hey, my schedule is horrible and I’m strapped for money; sometimes you just gotta do it yourself), it’s incredibly easy to get lost in the restaurants, bakeries and local shops amid all the landmarks and famous hot spots.

The tour can be tough to follow for other reasons besides the distractions, too: the West Village is “off the grid” of Manhattan, which means that the streets don’t run vertically/horizontally like everywhere else, and a good chunk of them aren’t numbered. The area is much more suburban but also more old-fashioned, which probably contributes as to why it’s so expensive. It all looks very pretty and I wanted to live there immediately, but due to the unusual layout I was lost within minutes and spent at least a half-hour trying to find Charles Street. I was all of thirty feet away from it, which probably says more about my cartography skills/general sense of direction than the West Village, but still.

But once you find your way around and get the hang of the neighborhood, there’s all kinds of amazing spots around here for tourists and college kids alike, the tour I went on made stops out of Thomas Paine’s old apartment (59 Grove St., blink and you’ll miss the door), the Friends apartment (you can see it from the corner of Bleecker and Grove), and Magnolia Bakery (immortalized by Sex and the City and “Lazy Sunday”). Just make sure you stay focused and don’t spend a half hour you don’t have browsing a vinyl store for old albums. Not that I did that or anything. I’m just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment